|By RealWire News Distribution||
|July 29, 2014 10:06 AM EDT||
Thales nShield HSMs help protect new-release movies and enable first commercial service for secure distribution to the home
Plantation, Fla. - July 29, 2014 - Thales, a world leader in critical information systems and cybersecurity, announces that PRIMA Cinema, a pioneer in providing the ultimate home cinema experience, has deployed Thales nShield hardware security modules (HSMs) to protect ultra-high value intellectual property and as a result create a new industry. Through its innovative use of Thales security technology, PRIMA Cinema is able to address the piracy concerns of Hollywood studios and has become the first company in the history of cinema to be granted rights to distribute theatrical release movies to private home cinemas.
- The PRIMA Cinema team needed a highly secure way to protect digital movies from piracy and to strictly control the viewing of movies by authorized viewers in their home
- As the first company to convince Hollywood studios that their digital content was safe, PRIMA Cinema have been given the right to distribute first-run movies directly to the home
- The PRIMA Cinema security system, which has been validated by a team of independent assessors appointed by the movie studios, employs multiple layers of encryption as well as certificate-based strong authentication between its servers and home playback devices to ensure the digital content cannot be copied or played by unauthorized devices
- As with any security system that relies on encryption and digital signatures, the level of assurance that is provided depends on the secure generation, protection and use of cryptographic keys. The most widely recognized best practice for maximizing security in these systems is the use of hardware security modules (HSMs) such as the Thales nShield family
- PRIMA Cinema took their security assurance levels one stage higher by capitalizing on the unique CodeSafe offering from Thales. CodeSafe enables not only keys and encryption processes to be protected inside the nShield HSM but also highly sensitive application code. nShield HSMs equipped with the CodeSafe capability create a tamper-resistant application container or sandbox in which security critical software can execute in a highly trusted fashion
Shaiwal Priyadarshi, Chief Technology Officer, PRIMA Cinema, says:
"Film piracy is an enormous concern for studios and distributors who lose billions of dollars each year when film and TV properties are illegally copied and distributed. From the outset, we knew that to get approval from the studios, we needed the higher assurance security of a FIPS-certified, hardened appliance with a multi-layered approach to security, using industry standard algorithms in conjunction with long key lengths suitable for the strongest protection available. Thales HSMs delivered on all accounts without interfering with or compromising the quality of the user experience - an absolute must for PRIMA Cinema's value proposition. Furthermore, by utilizing the capabilities of Thales' hardened appliance, we have been able to architect a system that is impervious to the recent issues experienced by some software-only solutions."
Cindy Provin, president, Thales e-Security Inc., says:
"There can be no question that we live in an increasingly digital world and the need to protect high value content and intellectual property is paramount. Cryptography is a critical technology in these new security systems and Thales is excited to be at the forefront of helping customers establish the levels of trust that are necessary to enable this revolution. Thales is honoured to support PRIMA Cinema in such an innovative and ground breaking venture. It's refreshing to see sophisticated security controls being employed in a way that create new commercial opportunities and business models."
- Full Case Study: https://www.thales-esecurity.com/knowledge-base/case-studies/prima-cinema
- Thales e-Security: http://www.thales-esecurity.com/
- PRIMA Cinema: http://www.primacinema.com/
About Thales e-Security
Thales e-Security is a leading global provider of data encryption and cybersecurity solutions to the financial services, high technology, manufacturing, government and technology sectors. With a 40-year track record of protecting corporate and government information, Thales solutions are used by four of the five largest energy and aerospace companies, 22 NATO countries, and secure more than 80 percent of worldwide payment transactions. Thales e-Security has offices in Australia, France, Hong Kong, Norway, United States and the United Kingdom. http://www.thales-esecurity.com/
Thales is a global technology leader for the Aerospace & Transportation and the Defence & Security markets. In 2013, the company generated revenues of €14.2 billion ($18.3 billion) with 65,000 employees in 56 countries. With its 25,000 engineers and researchers, Thales has a unique capability to design, develop and deploy equipment, systems and services that meet the most complex security requirements. Thales has an exceptional international footprint, with operations around the world working with customers and local partners. http://www.thalesgroup.com/
Positioned as a value-added systems integrator, equipment supplier and service provider, Thales is a leading player in the security market. The Group's security teams work with government agencies, local authorities and enterprise customers to develop and deploy integrated, resilient solutions to protect citizens, sensitive data and critical infrastructure.
Drawing on its strong cryptographic capabilities, Thales is one of the world leaders in cybersecurity products and solutions for critical state and military infrastructures, satellite networks financial institutions and industrial companies. With a presence throughout the entire security chain, Thales offers a comprehensive range of services and solutions ranging from security consulting, intrusion detection and architecture design to system certification, development and through-life management of products and services, as well as managed security services with Security Operation Centres in France and the United Kingdom.
Thales Media Relations - Security
+33 (0)1 57 77 90 89
Thales e-Security Media Relations
+44 (0)1223 723612
- Ashton Kutcher on Twitter
- Oracle News Coverage Initiated on Ulitzer
- PR News on Ulitzer Launched for Public Relations Executives
- Adobe FrameMaker 7.2 Now Available
- Customers Deliver Innovative Experiences with Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
- 22nd Annual ROTH OC Growth Stock Conference Presenter Profiles
- TIBCO to Merge SOA and Cloud Computing
- PBDJ Product Review: AllFusion Harvest Change Manager
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- IBM And Dassault Aerospace Compliance Solution Takes Off